Window Box Gallery


My dirty laundry… by Elaine Stewart

Sept13, 2020 - 
Window Box Gallery
Gallery 1313,
1313 Queen Street West
Toronto, ON

My dirty laundry, as installation, reflects on two of my most appalling experiences with the medical industrial pharmaceutical complex. It is an ambivalent response as the system that rescued me is the same system that undid me.
The psychiatric drugs that I fought against taking to halt my post partum depression induced a psychotic break. My resultant suicide attempt, as a result of this break, left me with one functional limb and a wheelchair. I continue to consume psychiatric drugs; I have not been able to roll away from them. They continue to interrupt my thinking and functioning and making processes.



Elaine Stewart immigrated to Canada from Scotland at a very early age and has worked with threads and fabrics for much of her life. Her family history is bounded by textiles. When older, she started at the Toronto School of Art and began to incorporate textiles, threads, and found materials into her practise. She focusses on both movement- and mind-structured-by-disability supports in two- and three-dimensional installations.
Elaine appreciates the textures that textiles provide, whether it be rags wrapped in wire, muslin ripped, torn and dyed a multitude of colours, or thick and thin threads; they add an organic, emotional edge to her work.
She has participated in Present Tense, Inclusive Arts London, Bridging Forward Accessible Arts Festival, and showed her work online for The Gynocratic Art Gallery. She also participated in Project Creative Users at Artscape Youngplace during Nuit Blanche and Community Creates Change at Wychwood Barns Gallery.
Elaine Lives in Toronto.


Popular posts from this blog

Opening June 01, 2022 Josephine Guan's THE ARTIST IS NAPPING

Exercising Urbanism October - December 2022

The Alter(c)ations Project