May in the Window Box Gallery .....

BANKSIA SERRATA
by Sarah Dawn Richardson
Curated by Carpos Collective

Window Box Gallery
Gallery 1313
1313 Queen Street West, Toronto
Wed - Sun, 1 PM - 6 PM


I am a textile and bio-artist. I don't like the ordinary. I have a flair for the absurd, the gaudy, the surreal. I use fabrics,
beads, needlework, and the use of biological beings to create visualizations of a world outside of this
one. I believe art shouldn’t be confined to a visual experience. While my work is visually stimulating,
my work is also experienced through tactile stimulation. My work explores the traditional ideas of craft,
women's work, the hierarchy of biological beings, and the boundaries of fine arts in today’s artistic
establishment. BANKSIA SERRATA was inspired by an australian plant of the same name, as well
as fungi and molecular structures.  I use fabrics, beads, needlework, and the use of biological beings
to create visualizations of a world outside of this one. I believe art shouldn’t be confined to a visual
experience. While my work is visually stimulating, my work is also experienced through tactile
stimulation. My work explores the traditional ideas of craft, women's work, the hierarchy of biological
beings, and the boundaries of fine arts in today’s artistic establishment. BANKSIA SERRATA was
inspired by an Australian plant of the same name, as well as fungi and molecular structures.

Sarah Dawn Richardson is a 25 year old textile and bio artist. She was born in Hamilton, Ontario, and recently finished a bachelor's degree in Visual Arts and Art History from the University of Windsor. Richardson uses bold fabrics, beads, needlework, and living biological beings to create otherworldly sculptures.


SOCIAL MEDIA HANDLES:


Instagram: @braysl

Email: sarahdawnrichardson@gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

Sex/ism: ECHoes & ‘ReVERBS’ @ Ivory Towers with artist/researcher Joanna Black

Opening June 01, 2022 Josephine Guan's THE ARTIST IS NAPPING

Exercising Urbanism October - December 2022