Opening Dec 4, 2019 WIA@1313 in Window Box Gallery, Gallery 1313, 1313 Queen Street West, Toronto.


Divided
by Natalie Piper

This wood mounted digital print is from a mixed media collage that I recently created showing the circulation system of the human body divided into 3 parts.
Born with a congenital heart defect meant several major surgeries were needed throughout my life; I look to examine how times of trauma especially in childhood can alter an individual. At age 12, I was given Hep C through a blood transfusion. Surgery has changed me physically for both better and worse, and mentally I had to come to understand that my body would never just be mine, it has been opened and changed by others and will always need intervention. My relationship with my own physical form is part fear, part awe and pride and dislike. I am very scarred, and each scar tells of an instance I would have to re-think my physical being. Each trauma forced change in my understanding of what it is to be able bodied.


Natalie Piper graduated from the Ontario College of Art and was instrumental, as committee member, in assisting its shift to a university. She also holds a master’s degree in Printmaking from Maidstone, Kent and taught for years at the institution in printmaking, bookbinding and life drawing. Natalie was the first woman digital illustrator for Getty Images in Camden, London and went on to start her own company Art Division, a web and graphic design company in Wimbledon, UK. As a visual artist, she creates in digital new media and, after years of a successful design career in the UK, she has returned to Canada and to developing her art practice. She continues to work as a graphic designer in Inkfly, her own Canadian company.


Popular posts from this blog

Opening June 01, 2022 Josephine Guan's THE ARTIST IS NAPPING

Exercising Urbanism October - December 2022

The Alter(c)ations Project