Opening June 01, 2022 Josephine Guan's THE ARTIST IS NAPPING

 


Window Box Gallery @ Gallery 1313,
1313 Queen Street West,
June 1 - Sept. 2022

Josephine Guan is a Chinese-Canadian artist and researcher. She is interested in cultural understandings of health and disability and knowledge that stems from lived experience. She has recently extended that practice into documenting the lived experience of others through different modes of storytelling for awareness and change. Her work often takes form as multi-media and assemblage. This installation for the Window Box Gallery @1313 is part of a master’s research project (OCAD University) investigating the lived experience of acquired brain injury.

My brain is sometimes leaky – sometimes foggy. That means constantly negotiating how much I do in a day. I survived my way through grad school propped up by the central premise of Tricia Hersey’s The Nap Ministry: that rest is a tool for liberation and healing. I resist the urge to perform busyness and resist testing the limits of my body by napping. I ask for a collective slowing down so that I can keep up on things that matter.

Artists' Book & Research Paper: https://drawingfromexperience.cargo.site/ 

OCAD University also wrote a piece about the project: https://www.ocadu.ca/news/ocad-u-researcher-explores-drawing-way-process-change-after-brain-injury


Popular posts from this blog

Sex/ism: ECHoes & ‘ReVERBS’ @ Ivory Towers with artist/researcher Joanna Black

Exercising Urbanism October - December 2022